Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Great Recipe

I got this recipe from here.

We were invited to a friend's house for chili so I found this recipe and it turned out delicious AND IT USES KEFIR!. However, because of time constraint, I wasn't able to try soaking the grains even though I know how much better it is for you. Check back next week for a post on soaking/sprouting.

Cornbread


Amount: 8″ Square Baking Pan (12-16 pieces) I ended up baking mine in a cheesecake pan because I don't own a 8" square pan. It worked perfectly.

Bake: 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) 25-35 minutes

1. Place in blender; blend at high speed 3-5 minutes (the blender will “grind” the grain into a batter in the liquid medium. If it is a little gritty, blend more or let it set overnight for a smoother batter using the two stage soaking method.

1 cup kefir (my first choice!), buttermilk, sour milk, or yogurt

1/4 cup melted butter or olive oil
or 2 tablespoons each butter and oil (I use 2 Tbsp of coconut oil & 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter)
3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
2/3 cup whole kernel dry corn
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry grain or 3/4 cup kamut grain
If you would like to use flour, use 1 cup of cornmeal and 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour or kamut flour in replacement for the grain above. That's what I did since I didn't have the whole ingredients or the time to soak them. In fact, I didn't even use pastry flour. I used regular organic whole wheat flour and while it ended a little dense, I thought it was fine.
 
Second Stage: Optional (Recommended) Cover blender or bowl. Let batter stand at room temperature overnight or about 12-24 hours.
Add 2 eggs & blend

2. Mix in thoroughly, but briefly, using blender and/or rubber spatula as needed:
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

3. Pour batter immediately into greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) 25-35 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes clean out of center. Mine was done at 25 min. so check yours on the early side of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment