Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Why I Wear Men's Deodorant

And it's not because I'm stinky.

Well, I hope not.

Okay, I know first-hand that going organic/natural is costly. I mean, as much as I like to pretend we have money, we don't. My husband just graduated law school, but decided he didn't want to practice law and consequently didn't take the bar. Don't get me wrong, I support him 100% in this decision. I don't think the law is for him. But in the meantime, we are trying to make a go of it starting a business, but not being able to do too much because the business is in a state where we don't yet live, because of a house we can't yet sell...

So, what do I do in the meantime? Find great alternatives to organic. They're out there. You just have to look.

Enter in: Deodorant.

I actually stopped using anti-persperant about 8 years ago. It just seemed weird to not sweat when doing an activity that was supposed to make you sweat. And I didn't like that it turned the armpits of my white shirts yellow. But the real reason I stopped is because anti-perspirant has an ingredient (aluminum) that has been shown to cause alzheimers and breast cancer. Here's a link about it's correlation with breast cancer.

While there is still some dispute online about this info. consider that in 1993 AWorld Health Organization "Public Health Report" cited autopsies that found high concentrations of aluminum in the brains of those afflicted with Alzheimer's disease.

Also, consider that everything we put on our skin (makeup, lotion, deodorant, shampoo, etc...) gets absorbed into our skin. Absorbing aluminum? Well, that's a metal that doesn't come back out, but stays stored in our bodies. Hmmm...

Also, consider that aluminum pots and pans used to be the norm until people learned that they could be harmful. Do you see many aluminum pots and pans anymore?

What do I used instead?

While not perfect, it's cheap and can be found at Wal-Mart. And doesn't have aluminum as an ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment